Description of Facility and Operations
Coronado Hospital is an approximately 135,000 square foot hospital located at 250 Prospect Pl., Coronado, CA 92118. The building was built originally in 1969 and has already undergone several major renovations along with currently being in the planning & implementation phase for several more major retrofits to the space.
The building is served by 2 relatively new chillers and cooling towers, two end-of-life steam boilers, one major air handler unit (AHU) which serves roughly 70% of all spaces, and 8 smaller air handlers serving the rest of the floor area. The control system is primarily pneumatic at the field level and Siemens DDC for the central systems. Major constant-volume and variable-volume air systems operate at all times, serving a combination of hospital procedure rooms, patient rooms, lobbies, offices, support areas, and medical equipment rooms. Interior lighting is primarily T8 fluorescent and exterior lighting, which is limited to building wall packs, are primarily HID fixtures.
- Coronado Hospital spends $4.73/sq. ft. for utilties.
- The building's energy use per square foot is 26% lower than the national median energy use intensity for hospitals.
• Ensure that the existing capitol planning efforts underway for the 3rd and 4th floor renovations and the steam boiler replacements include best-in-class building automation system (BAS) design. Simply pursing a like-for-like steam boiler replacement would “lock-in” an inefficient plant operation for the next 30 years.
• AHU-2 has coils that are showing signs of corrosion due to marine air. These coils should be treated before pinhole leaks develop. Consider alternative options such as mist eliminators as a more permanent solution to this issue; the facilities team currently uses temporary construction filters installed on the outside air inlet.
• Exhaust Fan (EF) 1 & 2 are both nearing end-of-life and are known issues with the facilities team. Proactive EF-1,2 replacements are recommended to reduce emergency replacement.